We are delighted to have this absolutely scrumptious chocolate on board!
Produced in Tullow, Co. Carlow
Some information on sustainability from the chocolate garden of Ireland
We are affiliated through our supply chain to a long-term partnership approach between our intermediary Cocoa-sourcing suppliers and the Cocoa Farmers with whom they work. This is aimed at improving the sustainability and welfare of Cocoa Farming operators. This is vitally important to us as a company with strong values and ethics and a keen desire to ensure fairness of price for Cocoa farmers, and good practices around the environment. We do not use Palm Oil in our chocolate for that reason.
Much of the cocoa used in our products comes from Western Africa and is carefully graded and blended to achieve a consistent flavour profile. We do offer some Single Origin Cocoa chocolate varieties and the taste this will vary from year to year slightly, but will have underlying flavour notes characteristic of that region.
We are also engaged with Bord Bia with the Origin Green Sustainability Programme and have considerable measures in places and achievements to date and we are constantly striving to continue our progress in this regard.
Key elements of the Cocoa Horizons Programme, helping Cocoa Farmers and their Families, include:
· EDUCATION & BUSINESS PLANNING FOR COCOA FARMERS – BETTER PROFITABILITY
· COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT & EDUCATION AROUND ENVIRONMENT & DEAFFORESTATION CHALLENGE
· CHILD FOCUS, EDUCATION, AWARENESS, CHILD-CENTRIC COMMUNITY STRUCTURES, ZERO CHILD LABOUR
· LONG TERM PARTNERSHIP APPROACH
Key Elements of Our Origin Green Programme, working towards more Environmentally Friendly practices in our operations include:
· BETTER ENERGY PRACTICES – LESS OIL FUELS, MORE EFFICIENT SYSTEMS, MORE RENEWABLE ENERGY, E.G. THERMODYNAMIC AIR-WATER HEATING
· GREENER PACKAGING – ALL OUR CAFÉ NAPKINS, CUPS, STRAWS, FOOD CONTAINERS ARE NOW COMPOSTABLE
· MOST OF OUR PRODUCT PACKAGING IS RECYCLABLE; WE ARE EXPLORING MORE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY OPTIONS WITH EACH NEW GENERATION OF PACKAGING
· RAW MATERIALS – WE ARE WORKING WITH OUR SUPPLIERS TO ENSURE MORE SUSTAINABLE SOURCING AND PROCESSING; SEEKING TO OPT FOR DETERGENTS AND MATERIALS WHICH ARE KINDER TO THE ENVIRONMENT WHERE POSSIBLE
· WASTE – WE ARE MONITORING OUR WASTE AND WORKING TO INCREASE THE PROPORTION OF WASTE THAT IS COMPOSTABLE AND RECYCLABLE
· WATER – WE HAVE INVESTED IN OUR OWN SPRING WATER WELL AND WE VERY MUCH VALUE THIS; PRECAUTIONARY FILTERING IS IN PLACE FOR GUARANTEED FOOD SAFETY; WE ARE MONITORING USAGE AND TRYING TO ELIMINATE WASTE